NATIONAL

Senate parliamentarian nixes Trump’s ballroom fund in budget bill

3d ago · May 17, 2026 · 3 min read

Senate Parliamentarian Rules White House Ballroom Funding Violates Reconciliation Rules

Why It Matters

A senior Senate official has determined that a provision allocating $1 billion in taxpayer funds toward President Donald Trump’s proposed White House ballroom project cannot advance through budget reconciliation as currently written — a significant procedural obstacle for Senate Republicans working to pass a broader domestic spending and border security bill.

The ruling threatens to strip the ballroom funding from the legislation entirely, and raises questions about whether Republicans can marshal the votes needed to keep it in the bill through an alternative pathway.

What Happened

Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough informed Senate offices Saturday that the ballroom funding provision in the Republican budget bill must be rewritten before it can qualify for the reconciliation process. Her determination centered on jurisdictional scope: a project of that scale requires coordination across multiple federal agencies, placing it outside the sole jurisdiction of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which originated the provision.

“As drafted, the provision inappropriately funds activities outside the jurisdiction of the Judiciary Committee,” MacDonough wrote in her guidance to Senate offices.

Because the provision as written does not satisfy reconciliation’s strict requirements, it would instead need 60 votes to clear the Senate — a threshold that effectively prevents passage given the current partisan divide. Budget reconciliation allows the majority to bypass the 60-vote filibuster threshold, but only for provisions directly tied to federal spending and revenue with no extraneous additions, a standard known as the Byrd Rule.

By the Numbers

  • $1 billion — total taxpayer funding sought for the ballroom project
  • $220 million — allocated in the proposal for hardening the White House complex
  • $180 million — designated for a visitor screening facility
  • $175 million each — earmarked for security training and enhanced protections for Secret Service protectees
  • $400 million — the figure Trump previously cited as the ballroom’s cost, which he said would be covered entirely by private donors

Republican Response

Senate Republican leaders downplayed the setback, framing the parliamentarian’s ruling as a routine part of the legislative drafting process. A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader John Thune described the situation as a standard “Byrd process” review, writing that Republicans would “redraft, refine, resubmit.”

Senate Judiciary Committee Republicans also indicated that revisions had been underway for several days before the ruling was issued. Whether those revisions can fully satisfy the parliamentarian’s jurisdictional concerns remains unclear.

The budget resolution governing the bill limits which committees can originate language — only the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee are authorized to do so. If the ballroom project is again found to implicate agencies outside those committees’ jurisdictions, Republicans may be forced to drop the provision altogether.

Divisions Within the GOP

The parliamentarian’s ruling adds procedural pressure to what was already a politically sensitive provision. Several Republican senators had already expressed reservations after being briefed on the funding proposal earlier in the week.

Sen. Roger Marshall of Kansas said he had unanswered questions and remained undecided. Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Susan Collins of Maine both stated publicly that the project should be financed with private funds, consistent with Trump’s earlier pledge. The White House has argued the requested federal dollars would be restricted to security upgrades directly related to the ballroom construction — not the project itself.

Senate Budget Committee Ranking Member Jeff Merkley of Oregon voiced sharp opposition, stating that “the American people shouldn’t spend a single dime on Trump’s gold-plated ballroom.” Senate Democrats have signaled they will challenge any revised version of the provision.

What’s Next

Senate Republicans are expected to continue redrafting the ballroom funding language in an attempt to bring it into compliance with reconciliation rules. If revised language clears the parliamentarian, it would still need to survive internal GOP skepticism before reaching a final vote. Senate leaders are also managing broader tensions over government funding timelines, adding urgency to the reconciliation effort.

If the provision cannot be restructured to satisfy jurisdictional requirements, Republican leaders would face a choice between abandoning the ballroom funding or attempting to pass it separately — a path that would almost certainly fall short of the 60-vote threshold needed to overcome a Democratic filibuster.

Last updated: May 17, 2026 at 2:30 PM GMT+0000 · Sources available
STAY INFORMED
Get the Daily Briefing
Top stories from every state. One email. Every morning.