Connecticut Republicans Open Nominating Convention After Front-Runner’s Sudden Exit
Why It Matters
Connecticut Republicans face a pivotal moment as they attempt to field competitive candidates for statewide offices — a challenge the party has failed to meet for two decades. The abrupt withdrawal of the gubernatorial race’s leading contender has reshuffled the convention’s dynamics and forced a test of party unity heading into the fall campaign.
What Happened
The Connecticut GOP launched its two-day nominating convention at Mohegan Sun on Friday, one day after former New Britain Mayor Erin Stewart — until recently the front-runner for the party’s gubernatorial endorsement — suspended her campaign. Stewart’s exit followed the release of an investigative report detailing her alleged personal use of a city credit card.
With Stewart out, State Sen. Ryan Fazio of Greenwich entered the convention floor in a strong position, widely expected to secure the party’s gubernatorial endorsement on Saturday. Stewart subsequently endorsed Fazio, and delegates responded by rising and chanting his name during the session. Fazio told the gathering he intends to make the convention “a moment of unity” for the party.
Betsy McCaughey, a Newsmax host and former lieutenant governor of New York, remained in the race Friday and was working to attract enough of Stewart’s now-available delegates to qualify for an August primary. McCaughey positioned herself as an aggressive challenger capable of taking on incumbent Democratic Gov. Ned Lamont.
Party Chair Calls for End to Intra-Party Conflict
Connecticut Republican Party Chairman Ben Proto opened the proceedings with a direct appeal for the party to move past the internal feuding that has consumed much of its energy. “Republican-on-Republican violence has to end,” Proto said, referencing social media battles rather than physical confrontation. He urged delegates to refocus their energy on Democrats, warning that internal conflict benefits the opposition.
Proto’s remarks reflected a broader frustration within a state party that has not won a statewide or congressional election in 20 years. Much of the recent hostility, officials acknowledged, had been directed at Stewart personally.
By the Numbers
- 20 years — the length of the Connecticut GOP’s losing streak in statewide and congressional races
- $5,000 — the fee each candidate paid to deliver remarks and screen campaign videos at the convention, with proceeds benefiting the state party
- 2 candidates remaining in the gubernatorial contest after Stewart’s withdrawal
- August — the timeline for a potential primary if McCaughey secures sufficient delegate support
Zoom Out
Connecticut is among the most reliably Democratic states in the country, giving Republicans a steep structural disadvantage in any statewide race. Gov. Lamont has moved to consolidate his own standing ahead of the campaign season — recently touting legislative and fiscal accomplishments as he formally pivots toward reelection. The Republican convention’s internal turbulence, coming before a general election campaign has even begun, adds to the party’s organizational challenge.
Fazio and McCaughey had already met on the debate stage before the convention opened. Stewart declined to participate in that forum, a decision that may have foreshadowed her eventual withdrawal from the race.
What’s Next
Delegates are scheduled to vote on the gubernatorial endorsement Saturday. If McCaughey clears the threshold required to force a primary, Connecticut Republicans will face a contested August race before turning to the general election. Fazio, should he win the convention endorsement as expected, will immediately begin pivoting toward a campaign against Lamont.